Tuesday, August 24, 2010

19th day




Thursday, I definitely remember what happened on this day. This was the day we went for our class trip to get to know each other, I know awesome right? We have a 2 day field trip where we get out of school just to get to know our classmates better! Unfortunately all that great trip planning was done in Danish so I have no idea what was going on. All I knew was that we were leaving on this day we were going to stay the night is someones barn and to bring a sleeping bag. So in the morning I woke up half an hour late because for some reason my alarm on my phone didn't work, great time to do it to. So very quickly I showered and ate and did all that other morning nonsense. Then my host mom dropped me off at the school late for her job but 15 minutes early for my school. We went to our first two classes and then there was an assembly and I just followed the people from my class around because I had no idea what was going on. Then we got ready, before we had eaten lunch I might add (and it was like 12:00!), to leave and everyone was on bikes. I didn't know we needed bikes! I'd had my host mom drive me to school and made her late because I thought "I can't lug all this on a bike" So I didn't even have a bike. Luckily the school had bikes and I got a mountain bike. Hooray something I'm used to instead of those crappy little city bikes with their skinny little wheals and no shocks. At least that's what I thought until I figured out that the gears on this bike weren't working. I would come to a hill and gear down but nothing would happen, and finally when I reached the top, exhausted, the gears would change and I'd be peddling like a maniac but going nowhere, until we reached the next hill where it would promptly go back to the higher gear. Its like the bike was trying to kill me! Luckily the way there was fairly easy with mostly downhills and flats, and everything was going OK until... Sorry about that had to go to lunch. Until the people that I had been biking with and I fell behind and got lost. We just went whichever way we thought was right, knowing we were lost but not wanting to admit it until we finally admitted to ourselves that we were lost and called one of the teachers in charge of the thing. Getting lost on a bike ride in another country really isn't that bad, for several reasons. First I was lost with two other people, a really nice girl that likes Anime (yeah) that has BEAUTIFUL long white/blond hair, and a nice nerdy boy. Second you don't have to try to keep up with the others, you just go along at your own pace. Thirdly I had food. And lastly its an island people! You can't get that lost. So the teacher told us where we were and we were able to catch up with the other group. So we were staying in the English teachers barn witch was actually really nice. The barns here are more like buildings without walls on the inside so it was really nice. His barn wasn't being used he just lived in an old farm building so he had made the barn into what they called a ball room, but is just for having party's not actually dancing. Then we did a lot of get to know you and team building games, all of witch were in Danish. When it was time for dinner we were all put into groups in charge of a different part of dinner I was in charge of preparing the chicken, I seasoned it and I think I put a lot more seasoning on than these people are used to :). And then the boys in charge of grilling the chicken burned it all. Luckily we also had salad and pasta. Then we did more get to know each other activity's and I roasted some marsh mellows and made smores some of the kids thought it was gross others thought it was really good. And then we just hung out and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when inanimate objects try to kill you. Dang Danish bikes trying to kill my neice. Don't MAKE me come over there...

    ReplyDelete